Monday, November 2, 2009
Thoughts on Boston
May I just say, much to my surprise, I am loving Boston. During evening strolls around the Charles, amongst trees ablaze in shades of red, gold, and green in the evening fall sun, I find myself saying, "California, what?" I didn't realize how much I missed being here, and how happy I am to have the chance to rediscover that again. A year ago, I was nearly married, living in an apartment in downtown San Francisco, ready to sign off the rest of my life to the Bay Area and one man. A fast, somewhat brutal, twist of events brought me back to the East Coast alone and lost. In Boston and back at BU, I have been given a second chance. Until recently, I didn't realize how much I wanted one...or needed one. I certainly didn't hide my disappointment at being back East. But, being amongst old friends and the family I've long missed, I'd forgotten how tied I am to this place, and how good it feels to have such strong roots. With Boston family history going back to the Mayflower, and grandparents that love to talk about family lineage and the good 'ole days, Boston has proven to be the perfect backdrop for reconnecting with my past. I didn't realize how healing it would be to come back here. Nor did I think I would feel such a strong sense of place, and in many ways, self. Being able to do the same things my father, my grandparents, and great grandparents did here before me makes me feel incredibly alive and connected to my past, present, and future, all at the same time. I really didn't see this coming. Life sure hands out amazing twists sometimes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is funny what unintended and unexpected blessings come when we stop trying so damn hard to dictate our lives and instead allow them to unfold how they may.
ReplyDeleteI too, came to Boston the first time alone and lost...and while at times I still feel lost, I have established better friendships here than anywhere else, and in that am never alone.
Glad you came back:)